Sunday, October 30, 2005

Dr. Seuss


I have an obsession with Dr. Seuss. So many people think that he's just writing silly stories, but I think people often miss how much can be found in a Dr. Seuss tale. I mean there is originality with all the newly created language. Plus there is fantastic rhythm that can force you to repeat lines against your will. In addition, Dr. Seuss forces you to address prejudice. I mean just think about Green Eggs and Ham, he won't eat them just because they are not normal. And then Sam I am encourages him to see things from a different point of view.

When we talk to students about learning, especially in a non-traditional format, I sometimes think we are a little like Sam-- we have to go on and on about how great something is, but it really doesn't matter what kind of a song and dance we do. Until students are willing to try something for themselves, they will never know if they like Green Eggs and Ham or not.

Dr. Seuss encourages fun. His books are happy, although slightly didactic at times. Regardless, kids love them. I don't know why more adults don't go back to that mindset. If we have fun with learning, it's just that, more fun.

No comments: