Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Winn Dixie

I read Because of Winn Dixie yesterday. I wasn't really planning on reading it, but I had a lot of time in waiting rooms, so I got it finished.

It's interesting when I think about it in terms of criticism. The book has a nice enough story to it-- kids seem to like it, but I guess I'm fascinated by some of the critical elements.

One is gaps-- Gloria Dump is called a witch, but she isn't-- the characters say there is no such thing as witches. But why do they think she's a witch in the first place. What has she done to scare the children before Opal arrives on the scene and shows that she's so nice?

One is stereotypes-- Boys and girls don't get along, but then at the end they become friends-- but nothing happens to make the friendship at all seem natural. Opal's mom has left and she misses her. That's a crucial theme to the book, but she leaves because she doesn't like being a preacher's wife and she drinks. It just all seems a bit contrived.

Then there is the dog--If this dog is so great, why has he been neglected? Why isn't anyone looking for a well behaved dog that smiles?

No comments: