Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Safety

Today my thoughts and prayers are with the English Department staff at Virginia Tech. They are also with the families of the many victims.

Safety is such an ironic thing. Silly things like ritual and familiarity make us feel safe, and a massacure thousands of miles away can make us feel unsafe. I work at an urban college--people always ask me if it's safe here, and I say yes. There are usually plenty of people around. There is a good police presence on campus. I feel safe when walking on campus, when working in my office, when teaching in the classroom. My guess is that the people at VaTech felt safe. My prayer is for the students who are scared and wondering what to do next. I pray that God would comfort and direct them and allow them to feel secure again.

No comments: