Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Golden Compass Part 1

I am finally reading _The Golden Compass_ by Phillip Pullman. I was supposed to read it 2 years ago, and I didn't have time, so I didn't read it. But, now that there's a movie coming out and it's getting some internet buzz I figured I had better read it.

I think it is interesting because it is one of those books that both adults and children read--it often gets found in both sections of bookstores and libraries-- but now I am curious about the child readers--it starts really slowly and there's a lot of description. These are not bad things--and they add to the depth of the book. But, do kids have to be avid readers before they will pick up and enjoy this series or can this be a starting point for them. I think this book fits into my conclusion that kids expect more from a book--this story could not be overly simplified--but I am curious to see what they leave in and cut for the film.

More comments forthcoming as I finish the book.

No comments: