Friday, July 11, 2008

You know you're old when

you start to appreciate silence.
When I was young I would always have music on in my bedroom, and I would want my mom to listen to music when I was in the kitchen or with her in the car, and she would say no. The conversation often went like this.

Me: Can I turn the radio on?
Mom: No
Me: But I want to try to find my favorite song of the minute.
Mom: No, I want to relax
Me: You are so boring, why don't you ever want to listen to music, it's a great way to relax
Mom: No

Then I thought my mom was trying to squelch my fun. Now, as I hear so much noise all day long, I realize she was just trying to hear herself think. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy listening to music, especially while I drive, but now I have also come to appreicate the joys of silence.

No comments: