Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hunger Games

So, I finished Suzanne Collin's Hunger Games 2 days ago and I cannot stop thinking about it. It's interesting to me because when I started it, it took me a long time (for me) to get into it, but by the time I was halfway through, I just didn't want to put it down, and now, 2 days later I can't stop thinking about Katniss and Peeta.

This post probably would be considered a spoiler, but not the type that should keep you from reading the book.

At the Children's Literature Conference, one panelist said she thought the book was a commentary on American society and capitalisim. To some extent she might be right, but I think it is much more than that. Although the book takes place in North America, it is a much more global picture. The panelist had said as well fed Americans we don't have the ability to identify with Katniss, we must identify with the members of the capitol. However, as I read, I was just as annoyed with the people of the capitol as Katniss was. I found them shallow and annoying. I wanted to identify with Katniss's mother, but I realized my life is way too easy for me to identify with her. Instead, I found myself wondering if I would be an Anox in that community-- someone who is being punished for trying to escape because I just can't tolerate the capital's way of life and there is no way I would ever let my children participate in the Hunger Games.

I see why there is so much fan fiction for the text. There are so many points of view that would be interesting to explore. Gale for instance, what was he thinking throughout the games. I've got the sequel on hold at the library. Hopefully 4 people will return their copies soon so I can know more about the world of Panem.

No comments: