Thursday, September 02, 2010

The Lightning Thief

I just finished Percy Jackson and the Olympains book One, the Lightning Thief. I kept seeing previews for the movie and decided to check out the series.



I've never been a big fan of Greek Mythology. I think because of my belief in God, stories about gods just never did anything for me. However, I keep seeing Greek Mythology pop up in more and more literature-- Hugo Cabret and The Hunger Games for starters-- and it makes me wish I had spent a little bit of time reading some of the early stories. I've read The Odessey, but somehow I'm realizing it is not enough to have a full appreciation of the literary history.



About Rick Riordan's text-- I think he does a really great job telling a compelling story while mixing in elements of mythology without being too scary or outrageous. He writes this science fiction story as if it is a memoir, which is an interesting format for children's literature. He still expects his readers to pick up clues, like the fact that Percy's father is Poseidon, but he also tells his readers when he should have realized something that he totally missed.



I'm looking forward to reading book two.

No comments: