Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gas Main Breaks

This morning while driving downtown to go to class, I got a phone call that Wayne was on the news-- there was a gas main break and buildings were closed. As it turns out, the Writing Center was closed, so I had to call all of the tutors and tell them that they wouldn't have to be to work on time, but that I wasn't sure what was going on. So, then I had to spend time chasing down information about what the plan was on getting this gas line fixed. At 2 p.m. the word on the street was that the building would be closed until 5, so I closed the Writing Center for the day and went home. Then at 3 p.m. they sent an email saying that it was all fixed, so now I feel badly for students who might have wanted to get tutored. I understand that people like to have a good sized buffer for themselves when they are trying to complete a project. However, I would like it if they would keep people informed through normal means of communication. For instance, an email this morning when it happened would have been great-- rather than a friend calling because they heard it on the news. Or, it would be great if they could post info to the main page of the website. Oh well, as it is, the tutors got a day off, and I got to go home early. Sorry to the students who needed tutoring.

No comments: