Monday, September 24, 2007

Read for the Record

Every year Pearson publishing sponsers Read for the Record-- It promotes literacy in urban communities through Jumpstart. I'm not sure why there isn't more promotion for it in Michigan, but that's a subject for another day.

The idea is that they try to set a record each year for the most kids reading the same book with an adult on one day. This year's book was -The Story of Ferdinand-by Munro Leaf. It's a fine story-- not one of my favorites, but it's ok-- I think the book is more known for it's drawings by Robert Lawson-- especially the one of the bee as Ferdinand is about to sit on him. That really is a great illustration-- the bee's expression as there is just this huge thing coming down.

I'm glad I can attempt to participate-- my daughter wouldn't sit through the whole book this year-- maybe next year we'll have more luck-- I did buy the Read for the Record edition though-- so all of the proceeds will help jumpstart, and I think that's cool.

No comments: